I was just reading a post from Chris Baggott's blog titled Blogging Best Practices about installed vs. hosted software. Compendium Blogware, Chris' company, is a hosted or software-as-a-service (SaaS) solution that requires no IT assistance to setup. This allows corporate bloggers to get right down to the business of blogging.
Marketpath CMS is also software-as-a-service. More often than not, people ask about the difference between our content management solution and installed CMS software like Adobe Contribute or Ektron.Here are a few of the key benefits of our content management solution:
- It's incredibly easy! Requires no knowledge of HTML
- Fast setup and implementation
- 100% browser based so it is accessible from anywhere
- No upgrades to install because software updates are applied automatically
- No IT staff required
- Unlimited, easily accessible support
- Usually requires some HTML coding
- Can only be used on the PC it is installed on
- Requires IT staff to install, implement, train, support, and install upates.
- Per seat license fees
- Limited support options from vendor
In the end, serious Internet marketers will choose a solution that frees them up for valuable Internet marketing and not software configuration.